Fighting Blindness is a patient-led charity with a vision to cure blindness, support people living with sight loss and empower patients. We are the only Irish charity funding research into treatments for sight loss. To date, we have invested over €20 million in more than 115 research and clinical projects.
Over the past 35 years, we have grown from a small support group for families affected by retinitis pigmentosa (RP) to a nationally recognised brand.
We’re looking for a dynamic and creative Communications Manager to lead our marketing and communications.
Position: Communications and Stakeholder Engagement Manager
Salary: €45,000 per annum
Hours: Full time
Holidays: 24 days per annum
Reporting to: CEO
Direct reports: none
Location: Dublin city centre (currently remote working within Covid-19 restrictions)
Closing date: 25 June 2021
This role encompasses both organisational marketing and communication activities as well as fundraising. The ideal candidate will have in-depth experience of marketing, digital communications and campaign management.
They will have a keen interest in the charity sector and will want to use their skills to make a real difference and influence change.
Role and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute an integrated marketing/comms strategy that underpins the organisational and departmental strategies and objectives.
- As brand champion maintain a strong brand, by ensuring impactful and fit-for-purpose publications, website, social media, marketing/fundraising collateral and merchandise.
- Manage the communications budget and any external agencies in delivering communications, web and creative materials for a variety of campaigns, including negotiating terms and contracts when required.
- Manage the day-to-day internal and external marcomms activities and administration, identify potential ways to streamline processes and improve work flow.
- Oversee design, production and distribution of all communications materials, publications (e.g. annual report, Visionaries newsletter, video and social media content, email marketing, press releases and other materials as required) and ensure that marketing, promotional, publicity, communications and digital activities are consistent with Fighting Blindness values and brand.
- Develop and design marketing materials for promotion of specific programmes or initiatives. Work alongside key internal teams to develop messages for specific audiences and identifying channels (digital and print) through which to project them.
- Ensure communication outputs are of a high standard, respond to the needs of the target audience, and are delivered within agreed budget and timelines.
- Provide line-management and support to staff within the communications team where needed.
- Act in accordance with the objectives and ethos of FB code and governance.
- Undertake other duties as may be reasonably required from time to time.
- Show reasonable flexibility in relation to hours of attendance to meet the needs of the work. Work during unsocial hours may be required.
- Contribute as an active member of the senior management team, to the development and support of other initiatives within the organisation.
- Creativity and expertise in website maintenance and marketing
- Act as the owner/coordinator of the organisation’s website content: soliciting content from internal teams, ensuring it is on message and of high quality, updating messages on home page and other relevant pages and managing updates to content pages.
- Effective use of social networking tools and growing FB online presence
- Developing and monitoring Google ad-words campaigns.
- Plan and implement press campaigns: setting goals, defining messages, building relationships with journalists, and managing placement of stories/coverage directly or via a public relations freelancer.
- Proactively place stories about Fighting Blindness in the media.
- Manage relationships with journalists.
- Act as a direct point of contact for media queries and represent Fighting Blindness as a spokesperson in the media.
- Manage the monitoring of media and relevant current affairs developments.
- Manage relationships with Fighting Blindness ambassadors, including development of a suite of case studies illustrating the story and impact of our work.
- Manage relationships with key corporate partners.
- Writing/design of corporate partnership proposals, presentations and pitches.
- Organise and coordinate events and campaigns.
- Lead on communications for our flagship annual conference Retina.
Essential Experience & Skills
- Third level qualification in a relevant discipline
- Five years’ experience in a communications or marketing role
- Experience in project management with a proven track record of delivering on objectives
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to inspire commitment and support from a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Attention to detail and strong organisational skills
- Ability to work calmly under pressure and within a small dynamic team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage a complex workload and work to tight deadlines
- Experience in web content management (ie WordPress) and e-marketing initiatives (ie Constant Contact, Survey Monkey)
Desirable Experience & Skills
- Proficient in Adobe Design suite (ideally Photoshop, InDesign) with ability to produce professional, marketing collateral for print and online.
All employees are currently working remotely due to Government pandemic restriction advice. Position usually based at Fighting Blindness office, 7 Ely Place, Dublin 2.
Interested candidates should submit a copy of their curriculum vitae and cover letter to Anna Moran at email@example.com. Fighting Blindness is an equal opportunities employer.
Closing Date: 25 June 2021