Community Engagement OfficerOctober 3, 2019
Community Engagement Officer content
We’re hiring a Community Engagement Officer to work on our Need to Talk programme. The deadline for applications is 12pm on Wednesday, October 30, 2019.
Location: Border region of Ireland (Donegal, Louth, Cavan, Sligo, Leitrim and Monaghan)
Period: Fixed Term to June 2022
Hours: Full Time (37.5 hours per week)
Starting date: November 2019
Holidays: 24 days per annum pro rata
Reporting to: NTT Coordinator (Fighting Blindness)
About Fighting Blindness
We are a patient-led charity with a vision to cure blindness, support people living with sight loss and empower patients. We are the only Irish charity funding research into treatments for sight loss. To date, we have invested over €18 million in more than 100 research and clinical projects.
We provide professional counselling and therapeutic services for individuals and families living with vision impairment and blindness. We advocate for equity of access to timely and appropriate diagnosis, healthcare, therapies and support services and, through education and information provision, we work to empower the 247,000 children and adults in Ireland who are blind or visually impaired.
Over the past 35 years, we have grown from a small support group for families affected by retinitis pigmentosa (RP) to a nationally recognised brand.
Need to Talk (NTT)
Through the NTT service, Fighting Blindness offers free counselling and Living with Sight Loss courses for people with sight loss across the border counties of Donegal, Louth, Cavan, Sligo, Leitrim and Monaghan.
The purpose of this post will be to establish a face to face NTT presence across the participating counties to drive all additional referral targets to our NTT project.
The additional referrals will be targeted objectives in relation to counselling, emotional support vision champion, confidence building and living with sight loss courses.
Schedule of duties
- Promotion and increased awareness of NTT project in all participating counties.
- The Community Engagement Officer to visit all towns in each county to introduce the potential benefits of NTT.
- Access all local media, radio and print to assist in promoting the programmes and ensuring the messages are shared with local communities.
- Research each town in each of the counties to identify the synergies whereby we can canvass for volunteers, referrals, local support groups, families and service providers.
- Maximise the sources identified by offering presentations, coffee mornings and evening events to reach our required audience.
- Establish an NTT blog to track the journey of knowledge sharing using as many testimonials from participants to encourage others to sign up.
- Liaise with HSE to identify all clinics and specialist services so that the NTT collateral can be appropriately displayed.
- Contact Volunteer Ireland to arrange meetings with all relevant local groups.
- Visit with all opticians/ pharmacies to encourage their spread of the NTT message.
- Manage all day to day activities including publication and promotion of all NTT material.
- Ensure communication outputs are of a high standard, respond to the needs of the target audience and are delivered within the agreed budget and timelines.
- Effective usage of social media networking tools to grow NTT presence on line in support of the face to face presence in each town.
- Capable of communicating and delivering a comprehensive case for support for each of the project objectives.
Desirable qualifications and skills
- Relevant 3rd level qualification in the field of social care / public health.
- Minimum three years’ relevant experience.
- Experience in the voluntary sector an advantage but not essential.
- Knowledge of public health policy.
- Ability to work on own initiative, consult where appropriate and work within a team.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage competing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and presentation skills.
- Ability to think creatively, problem solve and work under pressure to a high standard.
- Self-motivated with a high level of organisational ability, accuracy and attention to detail.
Interested candidates should submit a copy of their curriculum vitae and cover letter to Anna Moran at email@example.com no later than 12pm on Wednesday, October 30, 2019. Fighting Blindness is an equal opportunities employer.