Fighting Blindness is a patient-led charity with a vision to cure blindness, support people living with sight loss and empower patients. We are the only Irish charity funding research into treatments for sight loss. To date, we have invested over €20 million in more than 115 research and clinical projects.
Over the past 35 years, we have grown from a small support group for families affected by retinitis pigmentosa (RP) to a nationally recognised brand.
Now we’re looking for an energetic and creative Science Communications Executive to join our busy Research department.
Position: Science Communications Executive
Salary: €31,500 full time equivalent
Hours: 21 hours per week (3 days)
Period: 12 months fixed term
Starting date: 1 July 2021
Holidays: 24 days pro rata
Reporting to: Research Manager
Location: Working from home with current Covid-19 restrictions but position based in Fighting Blindness office, 7 Ely Place, Dublin 2
Closing Date: 18 May 2021
Reporting directly to the Research Manager, the role will be responsible for promoting and communicating the achievements of our research department to our varied audiences.
The ideal candidate will be skilled in science communications and presenting technical information accurately and engagingly. They will also possess the ability to build strong relationships with a number of key stakeholders including funded researchers, clinicians and industry partners.
Role and Responsibilities
- Produce Research news articles for the Fighting Blindness website and quarterly newsletter ‘Visionaries’
- Create a series of engaging and informative updates for our funded research projects
- Work closely with the Communications Manager to develop and execute the communications plan for our annual international Retina conference
- Implement the communications plan for the Retina Network Ireland – our all-island network for early to mid-career researchers, clinicians and allied healthcare professionals in the area of vision and retinal disease
- Promotion of Research webinars and events
- Contribute to development of a range of Research educational materials
- Contribute to Research impact reports
- Responsible for responding to research related enquiries from people living with sight loss and members of the public.
- Work with the Communications Manager to craft a social media strategy for the Research department
- Regularly contribute content to the Fighting Blindness social media channels
- Update, review and write content for the Research section of the Fighting Blindness website
- Supporting the Communications department with research related PR
- Work with the Research Manager to produce a number of long-form opinion pieces on topics such as genetics and drug reimbursement each year
Qualifications and skills
- Relevant 3rd level qualification in communications or in health discipline or biomedical science.
- Experience in communications, preferably science communications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong digital and presentation skills.
- Experience presenting technical information accurately and engagingly
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships
- Self-starter and ability to research a topic independently
Interested candidates can submit a copy of their curriculum vitae and cover letter to Anna Moran at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fighting Blindness is an equal opportunities employer.
Closing Date: 18 May 2021