Fighting Blindness is a patient-led charity with a vision to cure blindness, support people living with sight loss and empower patients. We are the only Irish charity funding research into treatments for sight loss. To date, we have invested over €20 million in more than 115 research and clinical projects.
Over the past 35 years, we have grown from a small support group for families affected by retinitis pigmentosa (RP) to a nationally recognised brand.
Position: Research Manager
Reporting To: CEO
Direct Reports: Research Officer and Science Communications Executive
Salary: Competitive (depending on experience)
Contract: 10 months Maternity Cover
Hours: Full Time
Holidays: 24 days pro rata
Starting date: Immediate
Location: Working from Home with current COVID-19 restrictions but position based in Fighting Blindness office, 7 Ely Place, Dublin 2 from January 2022 in hybrid model.
Role and Responsibilities
- To develop and implement the research goals of Fighting Blindness strategy and assess progress on an on-going basis
- To build and maintain strategic partnerships with relevant stakeholder groups including industry, patient organisations, academic and clinical institutions
- To plan and manage major research activities, initiatives and events
- To act as a member of senior management team and assist with the strategic development of the charity
- To provide support and encourage the development of team member(s) within the research department
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overall management and monitoring of Fighting Blindness awards, encompassing laboratory, clinical and social research projects
- Identify and manage internal and external calls for funding
- Work with CEO and contribute towards securing of funds for research
- Work with CEO to determine overall annual research funding and budget accordingly
- Work with CEO to sign off on research payments and prepare research relevant financial forecasts as required
- Report to Fighting Blindness Board of Directors and international Medical and Scientific Advisory Board on funded awards and progress against research strategic goals
- Develop Fighting Blindness policies relating to research
- Develop and assist in the delivery of a research communications plan
- Be responsible for and authorise all research communications including content for newsletters, social media and website
- Develop and embed Public and Patient Involvement in Research in all activities
- Support the Advocacy mission around national research policies, reimbursement of medicines and access to clinical trials
- Represent the research department at internal and external meetings
- Maintain update knowledge and understanding in the field to inform research activity
- Be familiar with international and national developments that have the potential to impact vision research or patients living with sight loss in Ireland
- Educated to PhD level within the field of biomedical sciences
- Good knowledge of university structures and clinical research environment
- Minimum of two years managing teams and workloads
- Self-motivated with a high level of organisational ability, accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work on own initiative and to meet deadlines
- Ability to manage competing priorities and be professional under pressure
- Ability to work effectively in cross-functional environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven ability to communicate and liaise diplomatically at all levels
- Possess the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality at all times.
- Flexibility to travel as required.
- Enthusiasm for the overall vision of Fighting Blindness
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a copy of their CV and cover letter to Anna Moran, Fighting Blindness, email@example.com by October 27, 2021.
Fighting Blindness is an equal opportunities employer.