Fighting Blindness is a dynamic organisation that prides itself on funding impactful and innovative research that has clear potential to result in diagnostic and therapeutic interventions for people living with sight loss. With an ever increasing ambition and putting those affected by sight loss at the heart of everything we do, Fighting Blindness are seeking a highly ambitious and results focussed Research Officer to join our team.
Salary: Competitive (depending on experience)
Hours: Full Time
Period: Fixed term for 2 years
Starting date: Immediate
Holidays: 24 days
Reporting to: Head of Research
Main Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Liaising with funding bodies and grant holders with respect to post-award reporting and financial administration, evaluating progress against original aims of the project.
- Supporting future calls for research including international peer review and pre-award administration.
- Coordinating role and acting as a point of contact for patient queries related to the Target 5000 programme.
- Assisting with the organisation and reporting of research focussed meetings.
- Assisting with the coordination, logistics and development of workshops, symposia and the annual Retina Conference.
- Maintaining an up to date knowledge of new developments in vision research.
- Supporting Head of Research in the implementation of organisational research strategy.
- Performing additional tasks necessary to achieve the overall objectives of the research department and organisation.
- Responsible for responding to research related enquiries from people living with sight loss and members of the public.
- Supporting the Communications team by providing regular website and social media content.
- Producing accessible summaries of Fighting Blindness research to convey the value of research to a lay audience.
- Assisting in analysing and reporting the outputs, outcomes and impact of research funded by Fighting Blindness.
- Working alongside fundraisers to develop educational materials relating to research.
Public and Patient Involvement in Research
- As main point of contact, coordinating public and patient involvement (PPI) in research including preparation of training packages, facilitating focus groups and providing support to research and clinical community with initiatives.
- Outreach activities including representation of Fighting Blindness at community groups, schools, information events etc.
- A scientific or healthcare background (Masters/PhD level preferable but not essential)
- Self-motivated with a high level of organisational ability, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships with patient, clinical and scientific community.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team in a high-paced and high-delivery environment.
- Ability to think creatively, problem solve and work under pressure to a high standard.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to explain and tailor complex information with clarity and confidence to non-scientific audiences.
- Knowledge of university structures and clinical research environment desirable.
- Strong empathy with a commitment to the Fighting Blindness mission.
Position based at Fighting Blindness office, 7 Ely Place, Dublin 2. Interested candidates should submit a copy of their curriculum vitae and cover letter to Anna Moran at firstname.lastname@example.org. Fighting Blindness is an equal opportunities employer.
Closing Date: Wednesday, July 10, 2019.